fbpx Skip to content

virtual assistant approved by www.SocietyofVirtualAssistants.co.ukSVA came into existence in 2005 to:

1. Promote best practice in the virtual assistant industry;
  2. create industry wide VA standards; and
  3. Help UK VAs find clients.

As part of this we run a FREE listing for all VAs who abide by the following rules.

More information on how to comply can be found on the links below.  All these conditions must be met BEFORE applying.

VAs wanting to be an approved SVA member should comply with the following VA Standards:

• Have a website of professional quality.  Including a UK mailing address, Client + Website Terms and Conditions, cookie policy*, privacy policy*, and acceptable use policy*.
  • Have professional email addresses.  These must be domain specific and no @gmail.com/@btinternet.com.
  • Back up data securely off site.
  • Answer phone calls or emails received within office hours next working day.  Or to have an answerphone or autoresponder giving further information about when you will respond to the query.
  • Be professional.  Only take on tasks which you are fully capable of completing and have suitable professional indemnity insurance. Should not offer paid training/mentoring for other VAs without being listed as an Approved VA Trainer with SVA and proving they have appropriate experience.
  • Be based in the UK.  We do not list offshore VAs.
  • Be ICO registered.  Have data controller registration via Information Commissioner’s Office.
  • Contribute.  Have contributed to the industry by interacting with our forums, facebook pages or in another demonstrable way.
  • Link.  You must link back to our website.
READ  5 ways to say No nicely as a virtual assistant

* if relevant to your business – this might include collecting data via Google Analytics, using WordPress, hosting comments on a blog or collecting email addresses. If you don’t use these things, you can tick the box as you comply by not using these tools.

SVA reserve the right to remove any virtual assistant and ask that you link back to our site (include approved logos from application page).  If you comply with all of the above, please fill in the form below. Please note: we will do random checks.

By signing up, you will receive email alerts on any relevant jobs, and your details will be listed publicly on the FIND A VA page.  If you wish to unsubscribe from emails or change your listing at any time, you can do so by emailing info@societyofvirtualassistants.co.uk

9 Comments

1. Claire on 8 May, 2018 at 10:07 am

Being a Newbie, I’m thrilled that there is a Scheme like this available. I have set up my website and I think I have most of the bases covered but I think to be able to say that i am approved would be a great addition to my Linkdin profile and website etc. I will be in contact once I have my house in order. Many thanks.

2. Adrienne Conlon on 17 December, 2018 at 9:09 pm

Just come across this website and have read a few of your articles in the last hour or so. They are all excellent and I’ve been able to take away at least a few things from each one. Really going to study this website a lot more over the coming weeks. Thanks so much!!

3. Stephanie Evans on 9 April, 2019 at 4:54 pm

So excited to be waiting for approval now I’ve complied with the necessary criteria. What a great support network the Society is proving to be. I’m just two months in and it’s been a massive help, thank you.

4. Hannah Swierstra on 12 May, 2020 at 6:09 pm

Hello

I was looking at your requirements for compliance regarding registration with ICO – is this the Data Protection Fee?

Many thanks
    Hannah

5. Kerryn Wreford on 16 May, 2020 at 2:28 pm

Dear All,

I am extremely impressed with all of the information on how to become an SVA Approved Virtual Assistant!

During these troubled times (Covid-19), I am furloughed so have had the time to think long and hard about my future as a VA. This is something I have wanted to do for some years. I have taken all of this information you have made available and am now in the process of putting together a website.

I hope to be up and running very soon. Lots of work to do beforehand!

Kerry

6. Melanie Morrison on 1 June, 2020 at 2:01 pm

I love that you offer so much valuable information for free, as well as a free listing for approved VA’s. It shows that you are really care about promoting best practice and I am genuinely looking forward to being a part of this great community. Thank you Caroline.

• Caroline on 1 June, 2020 at 2:17 pm

It’s not entirely altruistic – as a VA myself, I benefit personally when the industry does well… I hated walking into so many networking events and having my prospects be told horror stories about VAs from other networkers! It happens far less these days thankfully, but there’s really no excuse for not following best practice when it’s freely available.

7. Hazel on 9 June, 2020 at 11:23 pm

I am just in the process of setting up my VA business and I am excited to get more involved in this community. Thank you, Caroline, for the invaluable information and advice! It’s scary starting out in any new venture and I am pleased to know this is a welcoming space.