We’ve had a few posts on the SVA Forum recently asking for a definitive list of what you will need when exhibiting at a fair or show.
For Display and attracting people to your stall:
- Pop up banner
- Plasma screen
- A large bowl of sweets – clear plastic picnic ware is unbreakable for travelling!
Shiny balloons to draw the eye.
- Goody bags
Raffle prizes – chocolates, bottle of cava, free services
- Extension cables
- Gaffer tape
- Sticky Velcro pads to put up posters/flyers
- String/cable ties for attaching banners
- Tablecloth – hides a multitude of sins under the table!
Different sized boxes under a cloth to provide height interest that you then display your wares on.
A wheeled cart – these are great for transporting all your conference stuff.
- Comfy but professional shoes, you’ll be on your feet most of the day.
- Water – talking is thirsty work!
- Snacks/fruit – talking is hungry work!
For contacting people:
- Business card draw bowl
- Your business cards to give out to people – top tip: give them a few to give to friends
- Sign up sheet/clipboard for newsletter
- Big blank piece of paper for people to write comments about your business on. It encourages interaction and gets you some good feedback.
- Surveys with contact details
- Ask conference organisers for a delegate list afterwards – they usually have these on a spreadsheet with permission for exhibitors to contact them.
Remember: Concentrate on getting people’s contact details and following up – they will have been bombarded with information in a short space of time and won’t always remember to contact you, so reminding them of your presence becomes the most important thing you can do. And how do you contact them if you don’t have their details?
What’s worked well for you as a VA? Did you have a special prize you gave away? Did a client come back to you a year (or more!) after an exhibition?