back to SVA Website
SVA Forum Forum Index SVA Forum
Society Of Virtual Assistants

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups 
  ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Advice on Bookkeeping Courses

Post new topic   Reply to topic    SVA Forum Forum Index -> Accounts / Bookkeeping
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Alpha Admin

PostPosted: Thu Apr 02, 2015 6:37 pm    Post subject: Advice on Bookkeeping Courses Reply with quote

Hi Everyone

I am after a bit of advice. I would really like to offer bookkeeping services to my clients, but unfortunately I have very little background in accounts/bookkeeping, although I am good at figures.

I have looked at several courses, one in-particular which looks very good, but to be honest it is out of my price range.

Can anyone recommend a bookkeeping course that is a reasonable price?

Thanks

Heather

www.alphaadminservices.co.uk
ebentall
Star Poster
Star Poster

PostPosted: Thu Apr 02, 2015 11:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Can't say I can help on a suitable course, but have you considered outsourcing to a VA :) If it's something you don't know about, you could employ a bookkeeping VA. By getting a reasonable rate from the client, you could take a percentage off the top, and get someone else to do the work.
caroline

PostPosted: Tue Apr 07, 2015 7:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My understanding is that in order to offer this service you need to be properly qualified and there are 2 bodies who do it... And then you also need to be registered for the Money Laundering Regulations too. The reason it is so expensive to do the courses is because it's certainly a money spinner!

I'm sure there will be one of the bookkeeping VAs along soon.
dawnjlane
Star Poster
Star Poster

PostPosted: Fri Apr 17, 2015 11:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Heather

I do bookkeeping for clients but have not completed a bookkeeping course. However there is more to offering this service than knowing numbers.

If you are not registered with one of the bookkeeping institutes, whereby your membership covers Money Laundering registration and supervision, you will need to register with HMRC - this costs 110.00 per year and if you don't registered and you are found to be offering this service, they will fine you. I didn't register for the first two years as I was unaware of the changes in the regulations and I was then fined 100 and charged 2 years' back registration. They also call on a regular basis to check that you are doing ok, that you are following the rules ie ensuring security checks/paperwork for your clients are correct etc.

Even if you don't actually do the bookkeeping but offer this service through your company, and outsource it to another VA, you have to register with HMRC. You can find more details here: https://www.gov.uk/money-laundering-regulations-introduction.

I started off by doing some spreadsheet work for a client which gradually grew into me doing his invoicing etc. I now work with various different online software packages which, technically speaking, don't need any bookkeeping knowledge. However, over the years I have researched and kept myself up to date with the rules etc and work closely with clients' accountants to ensure I do the best I can for my clients. All of my clients are aware I am not formally trained and trust that I will speak with their accountants if there is something I don't understand. Doing my own accounts has also helped me. I am about to look at doing a bookkeeping course though with Pitmans, making use of my VA winning voucher, just to formalise my knowledge and to be able to assist clients a little better.

You need to have some knowledge of VAT - the different forms of it (flat rate, input/output and margin), what can be claimed for as expenses, salaries (if the client is an employer) and lots of other dos/don'ts.

Although expensive, if you really want to offer this service and don't have the knowledge yet, doing one of the courses by the Institute of Certified Bookkeepers, Pitmans etc would be the best option. Don't go for the AAT courses - these are accountancy based and you have to be fully qualified before you can start offering any bookkeeping services. Going down the AAT road is a bit of a double edge - you will eventually be a qualified accountant, but you can't practice until qualified. However, legally anyone can actually set up as an accountant/bookkeeper without any certification, so long as they are registered with HMRC for Money Laundering.

Dawn
www.your-office-online.co.uk
ebentall
Star Poster
Star Poster

PostPosted: Fri Apr 17, 2015 2:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Excellent information Dawn, thanks for posting!
Wendrie

PostPosted: Tue Jun 09, 2015 5:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A late reply but thank you for this Dawn - was coming on to ask a similar question and was delighted to find your answer :)
Frasersolutions

PostPosted: Wed Oct 07, 2015 4:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is also a late reply, but I trained and qualified with the Institute of Certified Bookkeepers. I studied through Ideal Schools and they were/are fantastic!! You can sit as many levels as you choose and there are easier to manage monthly payment plans. Good luck!

Kirsten x
LunarKat

PostPosted: Thu Oct 12, 2017 2:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the great explanation Dawn. I was actually looking at AAT courses as I've got 20 years experience but no formal qualifications and bookkeeping is my niche.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    SVA Forum Forum Index -> Accounts / Bookkeeping All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  
Jump to: