Results of our Covid-19 survey in August 2020 are below. This was presented as part of FSB’s industry leaders panel on Thursday 13 August 2020.
- 20% were experiencing an uplift in work – 60% have been negatively affected.
- Around 40% had been able to access grant funding.
- Just under 13% have had to take out loan funding.
- A little under 20% of the industry were uncertain if they would be in business next year.
What more could the government do to help virtual assistants in the Covid-19 Crisis?
A lot of the businesses reported that they felt the government had been very helpful under difficult circumstances and were grateful for the business support offered.
However, a number of you felt that the government could do more to help new start businesses and limited company directors with grant funding.
Please do check your local authority website for updates on this, because some do have grant funding for those who haven’t been able to access help so far. (This seems to depend on whether or not they have money left over from the business rates relief funding, which they are being allowed to use at their own discretion).
It is also worth checking on individual industry funds (hospitality, creative industries, etc) as they may have some funding available for you or your clients.
What more could SVA do to help virtual assistants?
- Monthly check ins online: Well this one surprised me: A number of you wanted more of me waffling through your lunch break! So we will be putting in place more of the monthly catch ups on Zoom, very informal, a chance to have a moan or say what’s working for you…Keep an eye out for dates….
- More lobbying: Via FSB and individual MPs. Possible campaigns around IR35, Making Tax Digital etc.
- More training: OneNote for Virtual Assistants and Microsoft Teams for Virtual Assistants with multi award winning Microsoft trainer Paul Pennant (SVA Members check your email for discount codes!)
- Raising Awareness: Both of home working and how VAs can help. Suggestions of factsheets, checklists etc.
- Marketing/Business Development help: Various suggestions about what might help here including jobs boards, training, mindset coaching etc. We already have the VA listings and forums/Facebook private group for posting jobs.